Friday, December 30, 2005

THE WEAKNESS OF TRADITIONAL FITNESS

This was passed along by one of my clients.


Hey Doug,
I thought I'd pass this story onto you. This happened this week while I was working out at my hometown gym. I was there with my sister so I had to kill about 45 min. and decided to do Murph. Afterwards I was catching my breath at the main counter and the manager decided to ask me a few questions.

Gym Guy: So, I thought you were in good shape? It looks like you're about to pass out.
me: Yeah, that's because I know how to push myself.
G: I was wondering what you were doing. You did a ton of pull ups. Haven't you ever heard of sets?
me: Sure, but I was doing something different today.
G: Do you typically train like this?
M: It varies.
G: So what were you doing today?
M: (I explain Murph)
G: Are you insane? You could hurt yourself?
M: I don't think so.
G: So where'd you come up with the brilliant idea for this?
M: Crossfit.com, I work out with the only cross fit affiliate in Michigan.
G: I've heard of crossfit. Kind of a renegade group of sorts. The workouts aren't really conventional.
M: Neither are the results.
G: So are you going to be working out here all week?
M: I was planning on it.
G: Well I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't tie up equipment training. You were using the gravitron for a while today. I think you also scared a few of the clients.
M: Sorry, but that's kind of how the workouts go.
G: Well, maybe you should just do some cardio until you get back to Ann Arbor. Our facilities may not be able to handle what you want to do.

The manager went on to explain to me how I might risk injury if I continued to train like this and suggested that I learn a good weight training program geared specifically for women from him. I politely declined, but it just goes to show how hard it can be to transfer a crossfit workout into a conventional gym. I tried another workout the next day, but found that they didn't have some of the equipment I needed or that it was spread out over the entire gym. I would have been better off in my garage with a few pieces of equipment and a little less judgment.
Just thought you'd find this interesting.


He was probably wearing a company polo shirt and will sell you suppliments or something from the juice bar.

No comments: